He drew a circle that shut me out —
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the will to win:
We drew a circle that took him in!
— Edwin Markham (1852-1940)
Truly Open Minds and Hearts is for all who love Unitarian Universalism and other “liberal” faiths but worry about our direction, who fear that we are drawing our circle ever smaller. Read this blog, and respond to the posts you’ll find here, if you value a religious tradition that…
- treats differences of opinion with respect,
- rejects labeling people,
- values dialogue over resistance,
- avoids divisive language (good vs evil, us vs them),
- defines no person by race, class, education, occupation, income, or political beliefs,
- believes we all have a degree of free will and personal responsibility,
- puts spiritual growth at the center of our worship services, and
- offers refuge rather than guilt.
We hope the discussion on these pages will help all of us live up to the promise of our faith.